(we can include the frozen ones as well NOT TO USE, see Rav Moshe Vaye-)The Eida alert states that due to the fact that strawberries are simply infested, one is not to use fresh strawberries at all, which includes after washing. (this refers to buying and eating, without any effort to clean them).
One may however eat the fresh strawberries l’chatchila if one follows the instructions.
1. Peel the skin off entirely, making certain to remove all of the outer layer with some of the fruit’s flesh
2. Remove the green top
3. Wash well under a stream of water
Instructions for preparing a strawberry for blending - one may be lenient
1. Remove the green top and a small portion of the fruit’s skin
2. Soak for three minutes in a soapy water
3. Rinse well (three times)
4. Blend the fruit
Very ripe or soft fruits
1. Remove the soft/ripe portion
2. Any fruit with a split/crack must be cut open
This entry was posted on Monday, January 24th, 2011 at 08:23 and is filed under JKN